Hello DSC Families,
As many of you know, MSYSA recently announced that they will not be sanctioning tryouts this year. Instead, clubs are allowed to offer roster spots within the club to returning players beginning June 1st and are allowed to offer roster spots to players that are new to the club beginning June 13. As we are sure you can see, this will make team formation very challenging for the upcoming year. As such, DeWitt Soccer Club has adopted the following policy as it pertains to team formation:
- There will be no in person tryouts and there will be not be any cuts for the upcoming 2020/2021 year. Any player that would like to play for DSC will be offered a roster spot within the club. This applies for U8, U9, U10, U11, U12 and 11v11 teams. In the extreme situation where there are not enough players to field a team, DSC will work diligently to find a place for players without a DSC place to play. Our hope is that by being creative and combining some teams and age groups, we will be able to keep everyone within the DSC club structure.
- New players to the club will have a place to play. With the way the numbers break down for a particular age group, there should be more opportunities for dual rostering between DSC teams and pass carding to fill out game day rosters. We will identify those players once training camp starts.
- DSC will offer spots to returning players and players from within the club beginning immediately although they cannot sign or register until June 1. Coaches will not guarantee a roster spot on a specific team yet, but a place within the club. We want to give kids who have been working hard a chance to make the "A" team (Gold Team). During team training camp, teams will be formed by the coaches with guidance from the DSC board. Teams competing in the U9 division will be divided evenly.
- There will be a DSC team training week, scheduled for the week of July 20th. During this week, all relative ages will train together and we will end the week with a series of friendlies. To expand on this thought, all U9 Boys will train together, all U10 girls will train together and so on. During this week, teams can be further solidified and officially formed. This will give us time to get teams divisioned appropriately and get a coach assigned to the team. It is possible that we may move this to another week but at this point, the first week in August is our target.
- We have multiple leagues to work within. We are members of CASL and WSSL and also have opportunities to put teams into other leagues as well. We also have multiple divisions within each league so we should be able to place teams in competitively appropriate divisions, even if we have some teams that are not very strong.
This will be a unique year and we look forward to the challenge. It won't be perfect but DSC is committed to making the absolute best out of a tough situation.
Thank you to every coach, player and parent for everything you do and we look forward to getting back on the pitch.